CUCINA CARA MIA.......Random thoughts from "my dear kitchen" about food, travel, Italy, San Diego and life!

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

WE'RE GONNA MISS THIS!

Believe it or not, this Italian New York girl loves country music. It happened about 9 years ago. I started watching CMT and fell in love with Toby Keith then got hooked on the music of other artists. My husband works for a radio station, and he couldn't understand what I liked about "that" kind of music. I got teased a lot about my musical choices. As part of my 50th birthday present, we went to see Toby Keith in concert. Much to my surprise, he said this guy is really good and he enjoyed the show. Of course, he only listens to country music when forced to. Along the way, I have added the Dixie Chicks, Keith Urban, Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Martina McBride, and Carrie Underwood to my list of favorites. Country music tells stories about real life. It's music to cry to and laugh to (just listen to some of Toby's songs!). Lately a song by Trace Adkins has touched me. It's called "You're Gonna Miss This." Our children are in such a rush to grow up. I know I was. They (and I) are always looking to the future. Since Mother’s Day has just passed, I was reminiscing about previous Mother’s Days, when our children were toddlers, starting school, learning to read, starting high school, learning to drive, first boyfriends, first dances, etc. etc. Ask them and they say they can’t wait for college, to be on their own, etc. As their Mom, I look to the future too. The time does go by soooooo fast. Where did the last 20 years go? Three months ago my older daughter left for Spain to study for a semester; she will be home on Sunday. Honestly, I couldn’t wait for her to leave. Now I can't wait for her to come home. My younger daughter is going to her first prom. Where did the last 16 years go? She has two more years of high school, and she insists she can’t wait ‘til she is outta here!! This song has reminded me that every moment counts…our lives with our children go by so fast. Enjoy them, treasure them.
"These are some good times, just look around, we might not know it now, but we're gonna miss this"!

3 comments:

Due West said...

If you like country, we hope you will check out Due West! We have a hot new single, "Sweet Gravity" that is being played on the radio in Texas, Utah, and Tennessee. And it could use the good word and love of people like you. We hope you will check it out at www.duewest.com/buy.html and download your own free copy.
We love your blog! It's great!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I'm not a big fan of country music as we don't hear it much here, but I became a big fan of Bo Bice when he was on American Idol and he is really more of a country singer than a "rocker" as they portrayed him. Unfortunately, RCA made him sing those pop songs for his first album. He left RCA and put out a second album of all his own songs and it's great! It's called SEE THE LIGHT. You can hear song clips on his fan site at www.bobice.com

Sorry if I sound like an ad ---lol!

Bo is even starting to get appearances on CMT so hopefully he'll be doing more music in that genre where he belongs.

I love the song "You're Gonna Miss This" too! It's so true how we rush through life sometimes. As I'm getting older I am really trying to savor things more.

Hugs, Pat

lily-g said...

I have a friend who sings country music and is hugely popular in Aussie "Troy Cassidly" he has just returned from the States I think may-be going to a big event over there. He is the most down to earth,nicest person ever and has an amazing voice too, My husband and I both love country music too!