CUCINA CARA MIA.......Random thoughts from "my dear kitchen" about food, travel, Italy, San Diego and life!

Sunday, May 3, 2009

SPA DAY...MOTHERS DAY GIFT...-DREAM COME TRUE!


























































ON SATURDAY, I SPENT THE DAY AT RANCHO LA PUERTA IN TECATE, MEXICO WITH MY BEST FRIEND....IT WAS A DREAM COME TRUE... I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO VISIT THIS SPA FOR MANY YEARS, BUT NEVER COULD AFFORD THE WEEKLY COST. RECENTLY AFTER OPENING A BRAND NEW KITCHEN AND COOKING SCHOOL, THEY BEGAN OFFERING "SATURDAYS AT THE RANCH", COMPLETE WITH A THREE HOUR COOKING CLASS, USE OF THE HEALTH FACILITIES, POOL, BUFFET VEGETARIAN LUNCH AND FITNESS CLASSES....






WE ARRIVED AT ABOUT 10:00AM - A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THE SWINE FLU....TOOK A YOGA CLASS, WALKED AROUND THE BEAUTIFUL GROUNDS AND THEN SAT BY THE POOL...THEY OFFERED A HEALTHY VEGETARIAN BUFFET LUNCH...EVERYTHING SERVED IS GROWN RIGHT THERE AT RANCHO LA PUERTA!






AT 3:00PM A BUS TOOK US TO ANOTHER LOCATION WHERE THEY HAVE BUILT THE MOST AMAZING STATE OF THE ART KITCHEN, THERE ARE ACRES AND ACRES OF ORGANIC VEGGIES AND FLOWERS GROWING...







WITH A GROUP OF JUST 16, WE CHOSE ONE OF 8 DISHES TO PREPARE FOR DINNER, BETSY AND I CHOSE DESSERT..... A HEALTHY CARROT CAKE..DUH!!








WE WENT INTO THE GARDEN TO PICK SOME VEGETABLES FOR ONE OF THE RECIPES...PUT ON OFFICIAL APRONS, WHILE THE HEAD CHEF GAVE US COOKING TIPS. AFTER MIXING, CHOPPING AND SAUTEEING, WE SAT DOWN TO A DELICIOUS DINNER OF CARROT AND JICAMA SALAD, ROASTED VEGETABLES, GRILLED TILAPIA, QUINOA AND OUR CARROT CAKE!





WHAT A MOTHERS DAY GIFT....WITH SPECIAL MEMORIES WITH A GOOD FRIEND!
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL OF YOU!


















13 comments:

janie said...

Lucky gal! I 'm glad you got to have such a special day!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

How wonderful for you! A spa and you got to cook! It looks like a beautiful place. May you have a very Happy Mother's Day, too! Twyla

Sabina said...

Wow, that looks amazing. Loved the photos!!There's nothing like a spa trip to lift ones spirits and as a Mother's day gift - too perfect!!

SeaWorthy said...

You, too!!
Love YA!!!!

SeaWorthy said...

What swank! BTW..forgot to say anything about how fab that place looks!!!!!

Tammy said...

Wow, sounds like a spectacular day and what a beautiful place to be as well. Happy Mothers Day Linda Lou!!

Anonymous said...

You take great pictures. Sounds like you had a wonderful, relaxing time!

Sue said...

Hi Linda....that looked like a wonderful girly day....Me and the daughter have been talking about going to the spa up in Massachusetts one of these days for a girls weekend...throw in a cooking class, what could be better....glad you didn't let that flu keep you away....

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Linda!

What a wonderful time you had! It looks so beautiful there.

You look so cute in the photo.

Have a happy Mother's day Sunday!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Lucky lucky you. What a great gift for Mother's Day - or any special day. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Oh MY!!!! I would love to spend the day there (and totally would have gone for the carrot cake, too! :-) What a wonderful day...it's exactly how I'd choose to spend a day...right down to the veggie buffet.

Happy belated mother's day! Clearly you enjoyed yours. And, p.s. I have another Raleigh so you're always welcome to tag along to yard sales with me. ;-)

Joyce said...

I want to go now! Looks like a fun trip with other friends who like to cook. Thanks for shariing your photos with me.
Joyce

Debra said...

I recognized those photos immediately! Rancho La Puerta is one of my favorite places in the world. I have been there twice, each for a one week stay and I would recommend it to anyone. I was there on the day that the cooking school opened and Food and Wine magazine was there doing an article about it. I was even in one of the photos that they published in the article! RLP is a magical place, but right now I am put off by all of the violence that is taking place between all of the Mexican cartels. Nothing has happened in Tecate, as far as I know, but Tijuana is only twenty minutes away and there has been some trouble there.

I will go back someday, but the two times I have gone, it has been by myself so maybe I will go with someone else next time.

Hoping that everything is going well with you! It has been a while since we have "chatted"!

Hugs,
Debbie