CUCINA CARA MIA.......Random thoughts from "my dear kitchen" about food, travel, Italy, San Diego and life!

Friday, July 8, 2011

Keeping your Cool!



Growing I up in New York, I was accustomed to hot, humid, summers, but San Diego is usually not muggy...except for the last few days...I started scouring old magazine issues to find a cool, easy salad...and found this one, featured in August 2009 Sunset Magazine! I changed it up by adding 6 oz. cooked pasta, omitted the chives and added chopped fresh basil and more lemon juice!

Tomato Bruschetta with Tuna and Cannellini

Serves 4

5 T. extra virgin olive oil
Finely shredded zest of 1 lemon
3 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
3 tsp. chopped chives
1/4 cup chopped flat leaved parsley
1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans tuna
3 green onions, sliced
4 to 8 slices large tomatoes

In a medium, bowl whisk together oil, lemon zest and lemon juice, salt, pepper and chives. Add parsley, beans, tuna and onions and stir until coated.

Arrange tomato slices and spoon tuna mixture on top.

I also recommend a cold glass of Pinot Grigio to keep you really cool!

No comments: