CUCINA CARA MIA.......Random thoughts from "my dear kitchen" about food, travel, Italy, San Diego and life!

Saturday, August 16, 2008

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS OLIB?















It’s where my husband is spending the next two weeks, rediscovering his heritage. Along for the ride are his mom, uncle and two cousins. Olib is a tiny island off the coast of Croatia, somewhere in the Adriatic Sea. It is remote, rustic and untouched by tourism. Believe me, the only things there are an internet café (with one computer), a bar, and two restaurants. I should know, we went there in 2004 and my daughters were bored and unimpressed. At the time, they couldn’t appreciate the natural beauty, peaceful atmosphere, and most of all, that Olib is the place where all four of their paternal grandparents were born. Maybe they will appreciate it as they grow older. I have read in travel magazines that the islands of Croatia are the next “in” place to holiday in Europe. I hope that Olib stays the beautiful, pristine place that it is. Have fun honey, see you in two weeks.

11 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Looks like an absolutely beautiful place! Too bad you couldn't go this time, but it will be great for your husband. Hope you will have a nice time while he is away. Twyla

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Looks like an absolutely beautiful place! Too bad you couldn't go this time, but it will be great for your husband. Hope you will have a nice time while he is away. Twyla

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Olib looks positively heavenly...but then I am not a teen girl! How cool to go back to the family origin for your hubby!!

SeaWorthy said...

My maternal grandmother came to America from Split Croatia. I totally long to visit, to see people that look like my family..I hope he will take alot of photos!! I knew I liked you for SOME reason!!!
Lisa
coastal nest

fromtheworld said...

It sounds so nice. One of these remote place where to just really definitively relax. I should go there once.

Anonymous said...

My father and mother were also born on Olib...actually my mother was born in NYC & by chance was caught by the war to live-p with her mother & young brother- on the island til it was over to return to her father in Hoboken...
Do you know The Frantin's? The Kleva's? The Pulisics? Always trying to find more about our roots. We cousins had a magical journey to Olb in 2003....our oddyssey...we will never, never forget it & long to return.

Linda's Husband said...

Hi Anonymous Olibian Cousin, this is Steve (Stipan), Linda's husband. I am thrilled that you found her blog! I was fortunate to be able to spend almost 2 weeks on Olib in August with my Mom, Uncle and 2 cousins...my first trip was in 2004...and it certainly is one of the most beautiful places on Earth!I have Kleva and Frantin cousins and we spent much time with Tiho Pulesic on Olib. One of my grandfathers had a commercial fishing business on the Jersey Shore while my mother's father settled in SF and was a longshoreman. We have a lot in common and I wouldn't be surprised if we are related as I am 100% Olibian. Would love to hear from you again! Please email me at ILoveOlib@aol.com and we can share more about our Croatian heritage and Olibian roots! Hvala puna! I look forward to hearing from you.
Bog,
Steve

Unknown said...

hey! just came across this page. i went to croatia with my (then) girlfriend and her family in the summer of '02 or '03. her dad grew up in olib, so we spent two days there. loved it! our boat captain, davor, used to be in a rock band, so knew a ton of people there too. met a fellow there named "click" because he was always taking pictures. amazing time. would love to go back.

MattyP said...

My family is from Olib. What is your last name? My family is the Pulisic's.

Linda Lou said...

Hi Matty P. My husband would like to get in touch with you - his email is scotov@aol.com

He's the croation one - Iam Italian!!

Anonymous said...

I know Frantins in New Jersey.