CUCINA CARA MIA.......Random thoughts from "my dear kitchen" about food, travel, Italy, San Diego and life!

Saturday, December 6, 2008

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.....IN ENCINITAS




Tonight was the annual holiday parade in our little town by the sea. Not your typical parade, but our little parade. Let's see, there were kids on skate boards dressed like elves, a group of restored "woodies", decked out cruising happily along, lots of adorable brownies and cub scouts, dressed up as Christmas trees, angels and Grinch. We cheered as the firemen, policemen and local officials proudly strut their stuff. We had our YMCA Indian tribes, dressed in traditional Native American garb and cute Indian princesses, along with their moms and dads, decorated wagons and family dogs sporting Santa hats and bells!

We must not forget our Hawaiian dancers, and our local high school marching bands. And to honor the reason for the season, various church floats depicting Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus in the manger.

In the early years of living here, my daughter Ali rode on the floats with her fellow classmates, and Courtney played flute in the middle school band.

I thought it would be cold, so I wrapped a scarf around my neck, put on my leather jacket and ugg boots. Hah! I would have been more comfortable in flip flops and a pair of capris!

All the restaurants and great shops were open along Highway 101 They were graciously handing out free hot chocolate and warm cider. I ran into a few people I hadn't seen in years. I sat there realizing how lucky I am to live in WARM Southern California, where the community is diverse and friendly, and can come together to celebrate the holidays in our own unique way.

Sorry I don't have pictures, the flash is broken on my camera!

19 DAYS TILL CHRISTMAS!

9 comments:

Sue said...

I love that old Woody...remind me of summers on the Jersey shore...You are so very lucky to live by the ocean...I can't even imagine how wonderful it must be...

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Our parade was last night too, on the ocean...palm trees swaying. I like the warm Christmasses as much as the snowy cold!!

~j~ said...

That is such a great picture of that ol woody, it sounds like a simply wonderful time and I love that your heart is grateful for our warm weather... me too!!
j

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Our Christmas parades are so cold. You are lucky. I hope your camera gets fixed soon! Twyla

Sandy said...

sounds like an, oh so fun time!

Sabina said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Christmas in California by the coast is somewhat of a unique experience.

:)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

The parade sounds wonderful Linda! Christmas is where the heart is. Wishing you and your familya very blessed Christmas ans a very happy 2009!

Hugs, Pat

SeaWorthy said...

We went to a parade this weekend, at night, everything loaded up with christmas lites, theres something about a winter parade! One thing, freezing cold, but it was a blast. Bet it was fun to run into old friends, thats always the best, specially at christmastime.
love ya!
Lisa
coastal nest

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Linda

Thanks so much for your congratulations and best wishes on the birth of my grandson! We are so thankful for him!

Hugs, pat