CUCINA CARA MIA.......Random thoughts from "my dear kitchen" about food, travel, Italy, San Diego and life!

Saturday, February 28, 2009

BOAT.....HOUSES???

Yes, you are seeing correctly. These are boats that used to be buildings, which then became houses and they are on dry land, not water. The other day while I was taking a walk, I parked right in front of them, and thought I must share the unique story of one of Encinitas most famous landmarks.


A little history....Miles Minor Kellogg, a maritime engineer, with imagination, creativity, and recycled lumber from the 1888 Moonlight Beach Dance Hall and Bathhouse that was dismantled in 1925, built the now famous Encinitas Boat Houses.


They are a National treasure that exemplify early California courtyard architecture, early building with recycled materials, and vernacular architecture associated with Historic U.S. Hwy 101. The Encinitas Boat Houses have been deemed eligible for the National Historic Registry.


They are the most photographed houses in our town, now you can see why! Another quirky, funky, unique thing that makes Encinitas a great place to live!
Random, but interesting.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a joy to meet you Linda Lou! I look forward to seeing you around more often as I will be checking in with you too!

Loved this post about your National treasures, amazing boat houses! And I enjoyed the story behind them. WOW!

Blessings - Debbie

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Wow! So unusual! Two side by side too -- are they related? Do they give house tours? I'd love to go inside and see how they decorated.


What fun!

Sue said...

Hi Linda Lou....great boat/houses....I wonder what happens if the guy in the house on the left comes home drunk?

Anonymous said...

These boathouses are so cool. I'm not sure whether they fit into the neighborhood, but they certainly stop you in your tracks.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I have never, ever heard of these! I *so* want to go inside. I second what Pat asks...can we get inside? :-)